Thursday, October 27, 2005

Portable Music

Doing research, but I'm not getting anywhere. Well, sort of. If I paid as much time looking for a portable music player as I do for a job, well I might have a job. But I have neither a job (though I do have a MuVO that is kinda shitty and getting shittier--if I had kept all my the cash I've spent on AAA batteries on this stupid machine I'd have enough money for a down payment on a decent iPod.) (And I have a temp job.) But, jesus, these things aren't cheap. They're so cool. I want something that is small and durable and sweet. So I'm thinking Nano, because I don't have a need for 20 gigs of music. Something small. But now that I'm into classical, I wonder if it is possible to go to lossless. And can I play mp3's versus AAC on an iPod? But that means big space. But the nano seems a little fragile. But they are so cool. I don't know what the hell to do. Doesn't matter, I don't have a job. But I'll keep on buying batteries for the stupid MuVo and it is working less and less efficiently. I can get a Creative Labs device, one of the Zen thingos. I have a creative/E-mu sampler that is pretty fantastic. But that's a whole different thing.

Any ideas from audio-philic technical people out there, eh?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess they don't sell it anymore, but I have an I-pod mini, and it is perfect (it holds 4 GB.)Anything more seemed excessive. Make sure you have USB 2.0 ports, and if you still have an old graduate school ID, dig it out: at any apple store they give you 10% off the price for being a student (but only at apple stores.)

sarcasmus said...

Thanks. If it's good enough for you, I'm sure it's good enough for me.

Anonymous said...

I would guess that you need more than 4GB, knowiing that you are an audiophile--especially if you want a high bit rate. I currently have 15BG on mine--probably 7-10GB that I listen to (and I use an average rate of 128kbps). And that is including some, but very little, classical music.

And yes, you can defintely put mp3s on an iPod. Doesn't just have to be AACs (which is what iTunes automatically encodes to when you rip a CD). Though I believe the only way to put tracks on the iPod is with iTunes. Apple should probably spend a little more time dispelling myths and spelling out techinical details... many people stay away from iPods because of misconceptions about their compatibility, etc.

sarcasmus said...

It's too late. I caved. I'll tell you about the results. In the future I got a nano with 4 gigs. I think I'll be fine. I don't mind uploading new tunes on a daily basis. It's coming in the mail. I am losing sleep I'm so excited.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I know what you're saying about losing sleep over technology. Sometimes I can't sleep at night because I'm thinking about the video game I just played... er, did I say video game? I meant "the beautiful model I just made passionate love to." Appearances to keep up & all.

sarcasmus said...

Though I have to say, I'm almost as excited about my armoire. I've never had a real piece of furniture before. It's like an iPod, except it's really big and intstead of mp3s you put in clothes and other crap.