Saturday, September 02, 2006

Remembrance of Links Past




Well, these days, if you're reading Proust, I suppose you should blog about him, why else am I reading him?

Where to begin? Well, I am reading him in 70 page chunks, and I'm almost done with volume 5. At times I think it's the most amazing thing I've read, and sometimes I don't. I suppose that's why he's Proust. He could come up with something a little more interesting than it's "amazing" or "not amazing" to describe a book. Really, I'm learning a lot. Sometimes I think that there are so many pages that one can't but help but feel changed after reading it. And we get to be a part of this club of people who have read Proust. Why? It's not like anybody I've ever met who was really quite superior and I'd want to be like them have ever read the whole of Proust. I've met a few people, mostly academic types who have. I admire them, and at some level I suppose I have to emulate them, and so that's why I'm reading Proust. Also, to make myself feel better than other people, I guess. I don't know, really. I'm glad I'm doing it. The last two books have gone on and on about Jealousy, and I suppose one can. I actually started skipping some pages because I couldn't handle much more about Jealousy.

Here's a good Scott Walker interview with Jon Savage.

No comments: