Monday, April 25, 2005

Mystery Solved

Check the comments section of the previous post for an explanation of the world of hip hop bootleggers. Though it raises as many questions as it answers. Nonetheless, it is appreciated.

I am in Leslie's office right now. There is a bird chirping outside that has just the most beautiful birdsong. Echoing in the university courtyard. Yes, indeed, I will miss Spain. Last year I fell in love with Italy in about a month. It took me more than two months to decide that I loved Spain. But I do. Italy, Spain, and maybe France seem like primary colors of experience. That's a heinously (one might say grottily) western euro-centric, and pompous and basically racist thing to say. But I feel that at some level it must be true. Angry and Sloppy is not about avoiding controversy.

Here is my most favorite "quotable" line from Madame Bovary so far:

Human language is like a cracked kettle on which we beat out tunes for bears to dance to, when all the time we are longing to move the stars to pity.


And what follows is a favorite exchange:

"The trouble with you is that you don't know how to relax."
"And what's the best way of doing that?"
"If I were you I should invest in a lathe."
"But I don't know how to work a lathe."
"I hadn't thought of that," said the other, stroking his chin with a mingled air of contempt and satisfaction.

No comments: