Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Books

The hardest part about this trip to Spain is deciding what books to bring. My first idea was to bring The Complete Works of Shakespeare and The Bible, and, if I could get a hold of it, Das Kapital. (I never did steal it from the library, wuss that I am.) But I was informed that I had to bring books for both me and my benefactress (the person who is letting me stay in Spain for free in exchange for cooking and cleaning.) I have had this interim period between New York in Spain wherein I have helped my mother move from South Carolina to Denver. (In two days, the second day we drove from Nashville to Denver in 19 hours. Mom helped me with my Spanish, we talked about the essential strangeness of the nature of life, and we listened to what seemed like a lot of Bob Dylan.) In other words, I have carried the books that I will be bringing to Spain across a large area of the US. These books are:
Anna Karenina, Tolstoy
The Corrections, Franzen
Great Jones Street and White Noise, DeLillo
The Death of Artemio Cruz, Fuentes
The Letters of John Keats
Guermantes Way, Proust
The Origins of Species, Darwin
Disipline and Punish, Foucault

But now, of course, I'm having second thoughts. I don't know if I want to read all of that anyway. It seems to me that Anna Karenina and the Proust would just about take care of it all. But I'm bringing stuff for my friend the benefactress. I also want to pick up a copy of Murakami's Kafka on the Shore. I have to remember that I won't have any other entertainment besides my reading material--unlike now at my mom's (I've been staying up to two with Cartoon Network and Comedy Central and Iron Chef.) These books are taking up a considerable amount of space in my backpack--I have very little room for my clothes, for instance. Though I can and should buy clothes in Spain.

Oh yes, I've got an ftp set-up, so I hope to get pictures up on here. I'll try and figure out how to do that.

1 comment:

sarcasmus said...

And I finished them all, except the damn Foucault. 'Course.